MICHAEL BARI SHOW DAILY
April 22nd, 2019
Welcome back, make your Monday the best ever!
- New sports are always popping up. Supa Punt is a one-on-one kicking game. Blo-Ball is a table tennis without the paddles, you blow. 360Ball is a racket and ball sport played on a circular field.
- The Australian wonder-horse, Winx, racked up a 33rd straight win and a third consecutive Queen Elizabeth stakes in the final race of a remarkable career on Saturday. In doing so, the seven-year-old mare extended its already record haul of coveted Group One victories to 25.
- FIFA is backing a 24-hour social media boycott by professional players in England in a protest against racial abuse and revealed plans for a new global campaign to eradicate discrimination in soccer.
- Brooklyn Nets general manager Sean Marks was suspended one game without pay and fined $25,000 by the NBA on Sunday for entering the referees’ locker room after Brooklyn’s loss to Philadelphia in Game 4 of their playoff series.
- Caged for a murder he didn’t commit, Valentino Dixon sought solace in art. He loved to draw as a child, and took up sketching again to escape the harsh realities of prison after being handed 39 years to life for the fatal shooting of a man in downtown Buffalo in 1991. Art became Dixon’s salvation, and he drew for up to 10 hours a day, wearing his colored pencils to the nib.
ON THIS DAY IN SPORTS:
- 1914 Babe Ruth‘s 1st professional game (as a pitcher) is a 6-hit 6-0 win
- 1915 NY Yankees don pinstripes & hat-in-the-ring logo for 1st time
- 1954 NBA adopts 24-second shot clock & 6 team-foul rule
- 1966 Atlanta Braves win their 1st game, beating NY Mets 8-4
- 1981 Dodgers rookie Fernando Valenzuela tosses his 3rd shutout in 4 starts
- 1990 NFL Draft: University of Illinois quarterback Jeff George first pick by Indianapolis Colts
John Raoux/Associated Press
Kawhi Leonard missed the NBA playoffs last season, in multiple ways. He wasn’t playing the games. He wasn’t feeling the games, either. That’s not a problem this season for the 2014 NBA Finals MVP. Healthy and happy, Leonard has the Toronto Raptors one win away from the second round. (Read) by Tim Reynolds, AP Basketball Writer
(AP Photo/Aaron Gash)
DON’T PITCH TO HIM! NL MVP Christian Yelich gets yet another chance to feast on St. Louis pitching when the Brewers visit Busch Stadium. The teams have already played seven times this season — Yelich has eight home runs and 19 RBIs in those matchups, going 12 for 24 with eight walks for an incredible 2.167 OPS. Cardinals right-hander Jack Flaherty is 1-2 with a 4.58 ERA in seven career starts against Milwaukee. (Read) by Associated Press, Wire Service Content
(Frank Gunn/The Canadian Press via AP)
Facing elimination, Boston Bruins didn’t panic when it fell behind halfway through the first period. The Bruins kept their focus, quickly tied it and took the lead, and then held off the Toronto Maple Leafs to force a Game 7 in their first-round playoff series. Brad Marchand had two goals and an assist as the Bruins beat the Maple Leafs 4-2 on Sunday. (Read) by Associated Press, Wire Service Conte
Michael Hickey/Getty Images
The Arizona Cardinals may be moving on from Oklahoma Sooners star Kyler Murray as an option for the No. 1 overall pick in the 2019 NFL draft. The Cardinals ownership wanted to float the idea of selecting Murray as a way to excite the fanbase and sell tickets. However, Arizona is now “pulling back” on its interest in the Heisman Trophy winner. (Read) by Joseph Zucker
The 2019 NFL draft features game-changing quarterbacks poised to take the league by storm.
Mel Kiper Jr. explains why Nick Bosa is the best player in the 2019 NFL draft, and why Quinnen Williams is the 2nd best defensive player in this year’s draft. Kiper Jr. also breaks down Miles Sanders’ draft stock and Daniel Jones’ potential as an NFL quarterback. Dan Orlovsky then joins the conversation on Jones and compares him to Alex Smith.