MICHAEL BARI SHOW DAILY
April 19th, 2019
- They’re not as large or impressive as the rings received by the players, but all referees who officiate the Super Bowl get a serious piece of bling to commemorate the day.
- James Holzhauer is fast becoming a household name among Jeopardy! enthusiasts, and in just eight nights of winning the game show, he’s already won $460,479. That puts the professional sports gambler who lives in Las Vegas SECOND on the all-time money list. The title-holder there, of course, is Ken Jennings, who won $2,520,700 while winning a whopping 74 games in a row.
- NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell is “courting new streaming partners like Amazon and Disney for NFL Sunday Ticket, straining an exclusive 25-year relationship with AT&T and setting the stage for a landmark shift” in the league’s sports rights.
- The sports market in North America was worth $60.5 billion in 2014. It is expected to reach $73.5 billion by 2019.
- No women made it onto Forbes’ most recent list of the world’s 100 highest paid athletes. California is aiming to combat the gender pay gap in professional sports. A bill in the state’s legislature would require athletic contests to award equal prize money to men and women. It relates to the Golden State’s competitions in surfing, cycling, open-water swimming, triathlons and other sports. Many of these are hosted on state land and waterways.
- The wives and girlfriends of the Washington Capitals are teaming up to raise money stylishly for Safe Shores DC. The blazers, bundled with signed jerseys and pucks, are up for live auction.
ON THIS DAY IN SPORTS:
- 1926 30th Boston Marathon won by Canadian Johnny Miles in 2:25:40.4
- 1937 41st Boston Marathon won by Walter Young of Canada in 2:33:20
- 1943 47th Boston Marathon won by Gerard Cote of Canada in 2:28:25.8; his 2nd of 4 wins in the event
Ben Simmons (NBA Playoffs career-high 31 points, to go with 9 assists and 3 blocks), the Philadelphia 76ers defeated the Brooklyn Nets in Game 3 of this best-of-7 series, 131-115. The Nets D’Angelo Russell added 26 points (13 in the 4th quarter), 4 rebounds and 3 assists in the losing effort. The 76ers take a 2-1 lead in the series with Game 4 set to take place on Saturday, April 20th at 3:00 p.m. ET on TNT.
Derrick White had a career-high 36 points (15-21 FG), 5 rebounds, 5 assists and 3 steals as the San Antonio Spurs defeated the Denver Nuggets in Game 3 of this best-of-7 series, 118-108. DeMar DeRozan added 25 points (19 in the 3rd quarter), along with 4 rebounds, 5 assists and 3 steals in the victory. The Spurs take a 2-1 lead in the series with Game 4 set to take place on Saturday, April 20th at 5:30 p.m. ET on TNT.
Carolina Hurricanes vs. Washington Capitals Highlights
St. Louis Blues vs. Winnipeg Jets Highlights
Christian Walker, who struck out in his first three at-bats against Atlanta Braves starter Mike Soroka, lined the opposite-field homer to right-center off Chad Sobotka. Luke Weaver (1-1) struck out nine in five scoreless innings, fanning the last five batters he faced. He allowed four hits. The Arizona Diamondbacks have won four straight, including their first sweep of the Braves since 2016.
Washington Nationals vs. San Francisco Giants Highlights
Bruce Botchy Tossed in Washington, DC.
Toronto Blue Jays vs. Minnesota Twins Highlights
Kansas City Royals vs. New York Yankees Highlights
Chicago White Sox vs. Detroit Tigers Highlights
Los Angeles Dodgers vs Milwaukee Brewers Highlights
San Diego Padres vs Cincinnati Reds Highlights