MICHAEL BARI SHOW DAILY
April 5th, 2019
- Tim Cook, Apple CEO decided to take a short break from running the world’s largest tech giant to call into The Paul Finebaum Show on ESPN. One of the most interesting points of Cook’s call-in was when Finebaum asked him if athletics ever entered into the conversations he had when with other tech CEOs. “I think sports is still a great unifier. It’s the one thing we can all rally around and people put their other interests aside to either fight the other side or hopefully join forces. So sports always comes up. CEOs are people, too. They love sports, too.”
- A selection of 30 brands have signed up to ‘Shop with Golf’, a new shopping service that will represent a new revenue stream for the Comcast-owned network. The platform will also make special offers available to subscribers to GolfPass, NBC Sports’ digital membership service launched in collaboration with PGA Tour player Rory McIlroy.
- National Basketball Association (NBA) stars Joel Embiid, Damian Lillard and Giannis Antetokounmpo have signed endorsement deals with over-the-top (OTT) streaming platform Hulu. Embiid and Lillard activated their deals during the recent NBA All-Star weekend with TV advertising campaigns and social media posts. The value and length of the deals have not been disclosed.
On This Day In Sports:
- 1952 106th Grand National: Jockey Arthur Thompson and trainer Neville Crump combine for their second GN with Teal winning at odds of 100/7
- 1959 23rd US Masters Tournament, Augusta National GC: Art Wall Jr wins by 1 stroke from Cary Middlecoff for his only PGA Tour major victory
- 1967 ’76er Wilt Chamberlain sets NBA record of 41 rebounds
NATIONAL BASKETBALL ASSOCIATION
Rachel Nichols, Brian Windhorst and Tracy McGrady of The Jump recap the Gregg Popovich ejection in just 63 seconds from San Antonio Spurs vs. Denver Nuggets, with Windhorst saying NBA referees at the moment are not to be messed with — possibly in response to the Golden State Warriors‘ recent behavior.
Giannis and the Milwaukee Bucks travel to Philly and leave with the statement victory. Shaq thinks Giannis could be the best player in the league within a few years. How far can the Bucks go in the East?
Ric Bucher joins Colin Cowherd to talk all things NBA. Hear why he strongly believes Kevin Durant will leave the Golden State Warriors for the New York Knicks. He also touches on the Los Angeles Lakers’ current value and outlook for the future.
Chris Broussard joins Nick Wright and Cris Carter to talk NBA on today’s show. Hear what they had to say about LeBron James‘ confidence that the Los Angeles Lakers will sign a superstar free agent this offseason. Plus, Broussard explains why Juwan Howard isn’t a good fit as the Lakers next head coach.
MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL
Indians’ Trevor Bauer hurls seven no-hit innings against the Toronto Blue Jays.
It’s the first week of the season and we’ve already seen so many home runs from pitchers.
The Atlanta Braves signed 2018 National League Rookie of the Year Ronald Acuña Jr. to a contract extension worth a maximum of 10 years, $124 million, locking one of baseball’s most promising young players for a decade.
The Boston Red Sox take on the Oakland Athletics on Thursday afternoon. Manager Alex Cora addressed the media and talked about the future of closers in the game of baseball.
NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE
Reports have stated that the Oakland Raiders were going to have Kyler Murray and Dwayne Haskins for pre-draft interview sessions, so what does this mean for Derek Carr’s future with the team. Hear why Skip Bayless and Shannon Sharpe think that head coach Jon Gruden is not sold on the quarterback.
Thanks everyone for tuning into my LIVE broadcast! I wanted to catch up with y’all and discuss the Altar happening this Friday: https://www.thealtarconference.com/. Also, there has been a lot of questions about AB and how I feel about him.
Mike Florio and Chris Simms explain why it’s so hard for teams to move on from “franchise” quarterbacks and how those players end up staying and making a lot of money.
Adam Schein previews on the NFL drafts to select 4 quarterbacks.
From the Pro Football Focus NFL Podcast, PFF Senior Analysts Steve Palazzolo and Mike Renner go head-2-head in a mock draft where they play the General Managers of the teams they control.
Mike Florio and Chris Simms take a look at the potentially new Jets’ jerseys that leaked online before their official unveiling.
NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE
Craig Button joins the OverDrive guys to debate players on team-friendly deals, specifically with the Lightning, and why it isn’t happening with the Leafs.
The Washington Capitals are dealt a major blow before the playoffs begin with the loss of Michael Kempny. In the West, there is a three-team race for the Central Division title.
The TSN Hockey Insiders discuss how Kaapo Kakko has closed the gap on Jack Hughes to go first overall in the 2019 NHL Draft, whether Jack Hughes could play with his brother Quinn at the World Hockey Championship, Dean Lombardi’s decision to decline an offer to speak to the Senators about their president of hockey operations job, why it’s unlikely Ken Hitchcock returns as head coach of the Oilers, and more.
Carl Soderberg ties the game midway through the 3rd, and Erik Johnson earns the win in overtime to help the Colorado Avalanche return to the Stanley Cup Playoffs.
MAJOR LEAGUE SOCCER
MLS Commissioner Don Garber chats to ESPN FC’s Taylor Twellman ahead of the 24th season of Major League Soccer in 2019.
The Sacramento City Council will vote on an agreement to build a $252 million dollar stadium in the Sac Railyards, just north of downtown. The stadium would be privately financed, although the City would waive certain fees and offer tax incentives.